CITY OF MARBLE ROCK
Welcome to Marble Rock! Our town is located on the beautiful Shell Rock River which provides year around activities including fishing, boating, snowmobiling and bald eagle watching. There is a golf course within seven miles and a local community center for exercise and recreation.
Catholic, Lutheran and United Methodist Churches serve those of faith. Youll find our public library is a high quality facility. Our Historical Society has five buildings devoted to preserving the history of the area and Marble Rock.
School age youngsters attend the Rudd, Rockford and Marble Rock School in Rockford. Its a great place to live. Come and check us out for yourself.
Mayor: Jerry Engelhardt
J. R. Ackley
Josh Chambers, City Maintenance
Council minutes, audio-video recordings and other reference materials may be found at www.marblerocklive.com . Please note this is not an official City Council website or endorsed by the City.
MARBLE ROCK PUBLIC LIBRARY
122 Main Street - South
Marble Rock, IA 50653
Welcome to the Marble Rock Public Library to read, relax and find information on the Internet or just browse through our collection of materials!
Marble Rock Board of Trustees
President: Carol Wreghitt
Vice President: Florence Shook
Secretary: Sara Noss
Library Director: Elaine Ott
Assistants: Darlene Enabnit
Board Meetings are held in Library Meeting Room at 5:00 p.m. on the third Wednesday of each month. No meetings in July or January unless board President or Library Director determines that it is necessary.
*Large Print Books
*Interlibrary Book Loans
VHS & DVD Movies
Summer Reading Program
Community Meeting Room
High Speed Internet
* If we do not have the title, we can obtain it free through a statewide library loan program.
Mon., Tue., Thu., Fri.: 1:30-5:00 pm
Wed: 9:00-11:00 am; 1:30-6:00 pm
During the business meeting of the Marble Rock Study Club on the afternoon of March 10 in 1944, Lenora Heft presented the idea of a "Book Exchange" for Marble Rock. Thus started the project that developed into the Marble Rock Public Library.
It proved to be an active idea and a Library Committee was formed. Mrs. Russell Smith offered her Sun Parlor for the library until a suitable location could be obtained.
The next major step was taken when members of the Study Club received permission from the Town Council to locate the library in the City Hall Council Room. The Council also promised that shelves would be made for the books.
The slogan "A Book from every home" was adopted. This resulted in a book from many homes and many books from some homes. Those first books were marked and placed on the shelves and volunteer librarians operated the library initially.
The library opened for circulating books and magazines in March of 1946. During 1946 state recommendations for libraries were studied and plans made to follow them. Thus on November 16, 1946, the first meeting of a state-sanctioned library board appointed by the Marble Rock Town Council was held. By state law, board members came from the town where the library is located and from each township that helps support the library. Necessary funds for starting the library came from interested people and organizations in the community. With the appointment of the board by the council came help through taxation, Scott and Union Townships gave financial help after being asked early in the history of the library project. As the area served by the library widened, Ulster Township joined in giving money.
City Hall Council Room - First Home of Library 1946
In addition to those first donated books, additional books were purchased by the board as money was available. Many organizations adopted the policy of giving a book or magazine subscription each year. Books were given by individuals, often in memory of a loved one. The Study Club adopted the project of giving a book in memory of deceased members.
The library remained in its first location in the Council Room at the Town Hall until 1956 when through a need for larger quarters it was moved to a place in another town building located on the East Side of Main Street.
Second Home of Library - Town Maintenance Building 1956
By 1963 there was need for still larger quarters and by 1964 plans were underway to obtain them. A grant was obtained from the Kinney Lindstrom Foundation of Mason City. This with local help and gifts from friends enabled the purchasing and remodeling of an empty building on the west side of Main Street that had formerly been a grocery store.
1966 Location of Library - Center of Photo
Today, the library is now supported by a county rural tax as well as the local town tax. Gifts and memorials have been an important part of our financial support. In fact, the Iva Boom and H. Dean Staudt Estates made it possible to build the new library.
History In Brief
1944 Library founded as a book exchange by the Study Club
1945 First Library Board established
1946 Opened for circulation of books
1956 Expanded to East Side of Main Street
1966 Expanded & modernized to West Side of Main Street
2002 Received bequest from Iva Boom Estate
2003 Received bequest from H. Dean Staudt Estate
2005 Current facility built by Boom & Staudt bequests
1946-1947 Leta Nikolas
1947-1964 Delia Wilson
1964-1980 Pearl Knoop
1980-1990 Judy Vorhes
1990-1997 Sarah Kelly
1997- Elaine Ott